Moscon banned for five weeks after disqualification from Tour de France

08 August 2018 11:00
Gianni Moscon has been banned from racing for five weeks by the UCI for hitting Fortuneo-Samsic rider Elie Gesbert during stage 15 of the Tour de France, allowing him to return in time to be selected for the Italian team for the World Road Race Championships in Innsbruck, Austria at the end of September. The UCI confirmed that Moscon was disqualified from the Tour de France and was banned from competition between August 8 and September 12. In a statement from Team Sky, Moscon said he accepted the suspension. “I reacted in the heat of the moment and it was never my intention to hit the rider. As the footage shows I didn’t make contact, but I regret my actions and I have already apologised to both Elie Gesbert and Team Fortuneo Samsic for the incident," Moscon said.ADVERTISEMENT Cyclingnews understands that Team Sky do not intend to terminate the Italian’s contract despite this latest incident, preferring to help and support the 24 year-old Italian. He has undergone diversity training and received other professional help. Following Moscon’s racial abuse of Kevin Reza at the 2017 Tour de Romandie, Team Sky said any repeat of his behaviour would result in termination of his contract. Cyclingnews understands that this warning referred specifically to racial incidents and so Moscon is set to stay with Team Sky despite a growing rap sheet of bad behaviour. Last year, he was accused of deliberately causing Sebastien Reichenbach to crash during the Tre Valli Varesine race in Italy apparently after the Swiss rider reproached him for his racist attack on Reza. The UCI disciplinary committee eventually closed the case in June, citing a lack of evidence due to the absence of video footage. Brailsford shows his support for Moscon You can read more at Cyclingnews.com . read full article

Source: Cycling News